Friday, September 15, 2017

Hymns through History - Introduction

Hello all! I hope this blog post finds you well! Our week has been a bit crazy, but good nontheless. Also, I promise I will reply to comments this weekend. I've gotten a bit behind in that area. xP

Today brings us to the start of the new mini-blog series I mentioned last week. And, as y'all have probably guessed by now, it has something to do with hymns.

Hymns are very special to me. You see, I didn't grow up listening to contromporary christian music. And until I was around eleven, I didn't even know it existed. For me, songs were always, always either classical or hymns. My greatest dream when I was little was to be able to play the piano so I could play out of the hymnbook in church. To this day, piano hymns are my favorite kind of music to listen to...and play. (And yes, my dream came true and I have played hymns in church. ;) Seriously one of the highlights of my life.)

Nowadays I do often listen to contemporary music and enjoy it very much, yet the old hymns always inspire me like no other song ever will. There's just something about hearing the sweet, gentle strains of How Great though Art  drift through the autumn air, or singing Christ the Lord is Risen Today at church on Easter morning. Yes, maybe it's because of my upbringing that hymns will always be precious to me. Nearly every memory I have is connected, in some way, with a dear, old hymn.

Yet, I think it's more then that. Hymns have such a rich history. And the words, many times, are more thoughtful and reverant then most contemporary songs. (Don't start yelling at me, guys. I agree that some contemporary christian songs can be just as powerful. ;)) Our forerunners in the Christian faith often sang the same hymns as they went through persecution, or were faced with hardships in their own life. And still, more then a hundred years later, the same lyrics are speaking to my soul. That's amazing, guys. Sometimes there will be days when I'm having a hard time, and I just can't seem to get my mind to focus on Christ in the midst of things going on around me. And then a line from Be Still, My soul will come to mind. Other days, I struggle with feeling lonely, even though I'm surrounded by people who love me. And then What a Friend we have in Jesus will remind me that He's always right beside me.
In every hardship I've gone through in my life, I've had a hymn to encourage me. To get me through it.
And in every blessing, in every happy occasion, I can call to mind a hymn from that time of life as well.  After all, life in the summer doesn't get any better then driving down a country road with the windows down while you and your siblings sing I'll Fly away so loud you'd probably give a heart attack to anyone who heard you coming.

So, all that to say . . . because of my love for them, I've decided to do a mini blog series on hymns. More specifically, the hymns I've used in my books. Those of you who have read them know that I try to incorperate a hymn into each book in some way, shape, or form.  The reason is because I personally think that there come times when the gentle yet pointed lyrics of christian hymns can drive a point home more then any amount of explaining we could try and do.

Also, so often hymns seem to be labled "old fashioned" and looked down on by many people my age who I know, So I'd also like to show that hymns aren't just for older people--they're relevent in the lives of us younger teens and adults as well.

So what do you say, are you excited for the series? Worried about my sanity? xD Did you grow up listening to hymns, and, if so, what is your favorite hymn?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this idea so much! I grew up on hymns too, and I agree there's just something about them contemporary songs can't match. So yes, I'm looking forward to the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, so glad you're excited! I alwqys5live learning more about hymns. ^_^

      Delete
    2. *always love. XP That's what happens when I'm on my phone...

      Delete
  2. When I read where you said you'd had a hymn to encourage you in every hardship, I'm like "and she uses one in nearly every book!" And then I kept reading. xD

    I grew up hearing and singing hymns as well. And that's all out church uses now. :) Looking forward to the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* I do. Hymns are second only to the Bible in my opinion! ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to this! I love hymns. I grew up listening to all kinds of music, hymns included, and I always thought hymns were amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And yes, hymns are just so, so special! <3

      Delete
  4. I am SO EXCITED for this mini-series! Hymns are such a big part of my life too. I recently did a blog on Hymn Histories for a college class and I was so blessed by reading those hymns and hearing the stories behind it! I can't agree more with everything you said in your post! Can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, that would have been so interesting! What are you going to college for again? I can't remeber if I knew before or not. XP

      *grins* I'm so glad you're excited!

      Delete
  5. Hymns!! I love hymns!! Actually, my dad did a series of devotions (twice a month for almost two years, lol) on this same kind of premise, breaking down the history of some of our favorite hymns. I loved those, and I'm so interested to see your take on it!

    ~ Abby {novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete