Monday, July 16, 2018

Love - {A Summer Blog Series on 1st Corinthians 13} - Part 2

Hello all, I'm back! I did mention that I wasn't on a schedule this summer, didn't I? ;) Anyway, to make up for not posting the past week or two, there will more then likely be a couple posts this week. You've been warned.
Now onto Part 2 ...


(Read part 1 here)

1 Corinthians 13: 2, 5 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil. 

-------

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Knowledge in and of itself is worth nothing. You can know a lot and be super smart, but without love, you've earned nothing. I personally like to debate people. I like it a lot. And while I don't believe there's anything wrong with it, I have to be careful. Because if I'm not lacing my arguments and speech with love, I'm coming across as knowledgeable and proud. I'm not showing Christ's love to the people I'm talking to. 
I can be right in everything I say. I can know my Bible inside and out. I can have every bit of theology perfected. But if I'm not letting everything I do be affected by Christ's love... I'm profiting nothing. 
Miracles and Faith are good ... but they're nothing without love. 


Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil

Doth not behave itself unseemly. Love behaves as it should. It honors boundaries and doesn't push for more. It respects those who are over them in areas of authority, treats with kindness those who are under them, and acts with courtesy towards all. 

Seeketh not her own. It is not selfish. Though shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. It lives according to this verse, and always puts others ahead of themselves; always puts others first. It does not seek its own praise or profit, nor does it seek its own desires ahead of others. It's a selfless kind of love; the kind Christ showed when He died for us. That's the kind of love we should strive to have, with Christ's help. 

Is not easily provoked. Love restrains itself. It doesn't get angry without cause, and when there is cause, it still is slow to anger. I love this definition that the Matthew Henry Commentary uses; "Anger cannot rest in the bosom where love reigns." 

Thinketh no evil. Love carries no malice, and gives no through to revenge. It forgives, even before forgiveness is asked. Yes, it's hard. No, on our own, it's not possible. Love, the way it was designed by God, is only possible with God. In the same way a fountain or spring needs to have a source, so does our love. On our own, we can't love like Jesus, because we can't give what we don't have. Only when we have a close realtionship with Christ and are receiving His love can we hope to love others in the way that is pure and Christlike. 
This sort of love is not apt to accuse others unjustly, and it doesn't have the ability to be jealous or suspicious. It refuses to continue to hold onto past offenses without reservation. 
Love hurts. It's not the way we naturally want to act. We want to get even. We want to be able to have what other people have. I struggle with that. How come I have to continue to love and forgive when I'm seeing to visible repentance, or when I keep praying and loving, but get no response?
It hurts. But it's a good kind of pain. It's growing pain. It's bringing us closer to Christ, and helping us to be able to better understand His love for us. 

-------

Anddd... that wraps up the 2nd post. I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! God is love!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I'm an ENTP and we are known as the Debaters. I have to be so careful, especially when dealing with guys who just don't have the facts straight or stand for everything I know is against the Bible and our nation's foundations. But you are so right, truth in love, that is the key.

    Love, the way it was designed by God, is only possible with God. Beautiful. Well said.

    Love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, 'Seeketh not her own' can also mean that, when you love someone, you want God's best for them. Even if it's not what you would choose, if it were your choice to make.
    Love does hurt, and I liked how you put it. It really is a good pain, because it brings us closer to being able to truly love like He does.
    Beautiful post, my dear. As always. <3

    ReplyDelete