Monday, October 2, 2017

Fall Five Favorites Party — Day 1 — Historical Fiction

*waves* Hello bookish friends! And welcome to the party! For those of you who may not know quite what this is . . . it's a party done by a whole bunch of bloggers, and hosted by the amazing Rebekah at Read Another Page. Each day we'll be talking about our favorite books in a certain genre, so come on in and join the fun!



You've stepped into the benches part of the park, which is just one of many places to be today! Come on and take a seat. Both benches sit just under some beautiful maple trees, and the leaves have started turning color. Doesn't it look like just the most beautiful place to sit with a good book?


The topic for today was biblical fiction . . . But I really hadn't read any. So I decided to do historical fiction instead! And seriously, y'all. Historical fiction takes up 95% of my reading.  Do you have any idea how hard it was to pick five favorites?!  I did my best . . . though one of them is a series. So y'all get two bonus books. ;)


Waves of Freedom series: Sarah Sundin 




During World War II, the Avery family finds adventure on the high seas, intrigue on the Home Front, and love where least expected. 

Ahh, yes. The series. The books that I discovered earlier this year . . . and ones that I hold very close to my heart. Yes, they are romance. And as many of you may know, I'm not a fan of romance. But these were so well done, and they focused on so much more then just the "romance" aspect of it. There were sibling relationships, personal struggles, and powerful christian truths woven throughout each book. One thing I loved was the it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, where everything came out right in the end. They had to live with their choices, and Mrs. Sundin did a beautiful job of showing how Christ can use even our mistakes to bring forth beauty. Plus, there was an added element of mystery to this series, that made them all the more enjoyable. ;) 

I'd recommend these books to girls 16+


Sea of Glory: Ken Wales 

Sea of Glory: A Novel

In 1943, the U.S.A.T. Dorchester was torpedoed by a German submarine en route to a top-secret radar installation in Greenland. The four Army chaplains on board were quite different from each other: a Methodist pastor, Jewish rabbi, Dutch Reformed minister, and Catholic priest. Yet in the terror following the attack by deadly U-boats, the chaplains united in a final sacrifice that transformed every survivor who saw it-and inspired one man to trade the bitterness of the past for the promise of the future.

I finished this book Saturday night, amid a vain effort to blink back the tears. A couple chapter from the end, I stopped trying. Why was it so powerful? Because this is a true story. It really happened. It was very interesting to see all the different backgrounds of faith each chaplain had, and how it effected their work. For all the minor theological differences they had, I truly believe all of them were born again Christians. The kind of strength they had . . . it was incredible. Honestly, I try not to write completely biased reviews, because I like to keep a balanced view on each book I read. However, on this book, there really wasn't any content warnings, and there was nothing I didn't like. So go read it. Right away. And then make everyone else around you read it, too. 

Just be sure you have the tissues handy.
Recommended for everyone


Resist: Emily Ann Putzke 




Munich, Germany 1942—Hans Scholl never intended to get his younger sister involved in an underground resistance. When Sophie Scholl finds out, she insists on joining Hans and his close friends in writing and distributing anti-Nazi leaflets entitled, The White Rose. The young university students call out to the German people, begging them to not allow their consciences to become dormant, but to resist their tyrannical leader and corrupt government. Hans knows the consequences for their actions—execution for committing high treason—but firm in his convictions, he’s prepared to lose his life for a righteous cause. Based on a true story, Hans, Sophie and all the members of The White Rose resistance will forever inspire and challenge us to do what is right in the midst of overwhelming evil.


This book is really good. This story really happened. These people really lived, and they were actually really treated this way. They believed in this cause, and they believed in it so strongly that they were willing to even give their lives if it came to that.
Reading this made me stop and think. What if we stood up for what we believe in, just as the characters in this book did? I mean, really. This book made me stop and take a look at my own life. Do I just ignore what is happening around me? Do I try to just blend in and not be seen? Do I cringe at the fact of being looked at as different? Am I willing to take a stand for what I believe in?
If you read this book, prepare to never look at the world in quite the same light again.

Recommended to anyone 15+ because of brief language


Brothers-in-Arms: Jack Lewis Baillot



Franz Kappel and Japhet Buchanan never expected their friendship to be tested by the Third Reich. Friends from early childhood, the boys form an inseparable, brotherly bond. Growing up in a little German village, they escape most of the struggles of war until the day Japhet is banished from school for being a Jew, and later has a rib broken when other village boys beat him up. Franz learns he is putting himself in danger for spending so much time with Japhet but continues to stand up for his Jewish friend even at the risk to himself. Th en one day their lives are shattered when they see first-hand that the price of being a Jew is dangerously high. 
With the war now on their doorsteps, Franz and Japhet come up with a desperate plan to save their families and get them out of Germany alive. Leaving behind the lives they've always known, they move into Berlin with nothing to protect them but forged papers and each other. Convinced their friendship can keep them going, the boys try and make a new life for themselves while trying to keep their true identities and Japhet's heritage a secret. Taking his best friend's safety upon himself, Franz joins the Nazis in an attempt to get valuable information. At the same time, Japhet joins the Jewish Resistance, neither friend telling the other of their new occupations.
With everyone in their world telling them a Nazi and a Jew can't be friends, it is only a matter of time before they believe all the lies themselves, until neither is certain if they are fighting against a race of people or fighting for their homeland. Somehow they have to survive the horrors of World War II, even when all of Germany seems to be against them.

This was a beautiful book that was oh, so sad. It showed the horrors and reality of war, and how it touched even the smallest places in Nazi Germany. Yet, it still had a thread of hope that comes only from knowing Christ.
Also, it was a beautiful story without any romance . . . and it had two brother-figure characters. Does it get any better then that?!

Recommended for ages 12/13+ because of a rather detailed torture scene

Blue Skies Tomorrow: Sarah Sundin 


Blue Skies Tomorrow (Wings of Glory, #3)

When her husband becomes a casualty of the war in the Pacific, Helen Carlisle throws herself into volunteering for the war effort to conceal her feelings. But keeping up appearances as the grieving widow of a hometown hero is taking its toll. Soon something is going to give.

Lt. Raymond Novak prefers the pulpit to the cockpit. His stateside job training B-17 pilots allows him the luxury of a personal life--and a convenient excuse to ignore his deepest fear. When the beautiful Helen catches his eye and captures his heart, he is determined to win her hand.

But when Ray and Helen are called upon to step out in faith and put their reputations and their lives on the line, can they meet the challenges that face them? And can their young love survive until blue skies return?


This book was so sweet! I loved Ray and Helen, and the WWII backdrop was so well done! I loved Ray's story and journey so much. He was my favorite of the Novak brothers, so I was hoping his story would be good. It was. I never should have doubted Mrs. Sundin. Once again, she brought some pretty weighty subjects to the table, but she pulled them off with amazing realism. I love how she makes God a central theme of her stories. It adds so much to the enjoyment. 

Recommended to ages 16+ because of romance and elements of abuse 


Anddd . .  there you have it! My five favorite historical fiction books! Have you read any of them? 

Oh, and did I mention there's a giveaway? Because there is! Below is a place where you can enter it! And this is the grand prize... isn't it beautiful?! It includes . . .




• Signed copy of Dylan’s Story by Rebekah A. Morris
• Signed copy of Dandelion Dust by Faith Potts
• Signed copy of Kate’s Innocence by Sarah Holman
• Signed copy of The Twin Arrows by Kate Willis
• Signed copy of Journey to Love by Amanda Tero
• Coffee Nut M & M’s
• Packets of Apple Cider
• Cute Fall Mug
 Be sure to check out Rebekah's blog and then tour some of the other stops in the party. I look forward to seeing you all back here tomorrow! 

21 comments:

  1. OK my sister is in love with Sarah Sundin's books - so I'll have to send her your way so she can see she's not alone. I don't mind them either and I love the 1940s/1950s!
    Great list. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, send her my way! ;) I love Sarah's books so much! She does such an amazing job capturing the flavor of the time period. :)

      Delete
  2. I just discovered that my library has Sarah Sundin's books! Let me just say, I'll be checking some out. I've read one of hers and wanted to read more. Thanks for sharing these! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! Some of her books have a bit more romance then I prefer, but these are my favorites.
      Which one of hers have you read?

      Delete
    2. I read "With Every Letter" and I just remembered Sarah wrote one of the stories in "Where Treetops Glisten." :)

      Delete
  3. All these books are on my TBR. ;) Apparently I need to get reading... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read "When Tides Turn", but I really want too! There are just so many books that I want to read and not enough time! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so true! I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to finish half the books I wanna read. XD

      Delete
  5. Sarah Sundin is a favorite of mine. Brothers in Arms broke my heart but I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she so good?! I eagerly await each one of her new releases! And yeah, it's so sad, but beautiful, too! <3

      Delete
  6. Brother's In Arms is one of my favorite books. I read it myself and than started reading it to my Dad. Unlike any other book I read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's so powerful!! One of my favorite WWII books. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for joining us this year, Jesseca!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree on historical fiction!!
    Hmm... I see a specific era here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read the Waves of Freedom series, but not sure if my mom will let me. Great selection of books!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely say it's better for older teens because of some of the issues they deal with. But they're so amazing! So whenever you're allowed to, read them! :D

      Delete