Friday, October 6, 2017

Five Fall Favorites — Day 5 — Indie-published

Y'all. Today has been the day I've been waiting for all week. Why? Because . . . it's time for INDIE PUBLISHED BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS! 



*clears throat* Yes, I'm excited for this. Because I love Indie published books. (Maybe because I'm indie published myself? xD SO lets get on with it. I'm to excited to keep talking any longer. Grab a nice warm blanket, take a seat by the hearth. We have a nice fire blazing there. And get ready for me to shove some books into your hands! ;) 



War Tears: Faith Potts 

No image yet because it's not published. xD

The Carnathan’s and the Anderson’s are two families leading ordinary lives in the small town of Cana, Virginia. But all is not as it seems. Overseas, Europe is engaged in a struggle for survival and every day the pressure is increased for America to enter the war on the allies’ side. When Pearl Harbor is bombed and the nation is thrust into the middle of World War Two, the men are called up to serve their country and both are immediately shipped overseas. Back home the wives are doing their part, but though they don't know it yet, their lives are about to be forever changed. When tragic news reaches the home front, they must rely on their faith in God to see them through the difficult days ahead as the world becomes engulfed in the horrific struggle. 

Y'all, my critique partner wrote this. And it's amazing. Seriously, one of my favorite WWII fiction books ever. And no, I'm not biased. xP The faith that was interwoven through the story, the beautiful truths from the Bible, the down to life characters. . . yeah. It was beautiful. I only have one problem with it. It's not published yet. *hint hint* Can I make myself anymore clear, Faith, dear? ;) You need to publish it. 

Home Fires of the Great War: Rebekah Morris 


Thirteen-year-old Maria Mitchell, known to all as Ria, and her friend Lydia have been assigned to write a report on a hero or heroine of the Great War (World War I) for a school project. Instead of picking some well known figure, the two friends decide to search for someone forgotten or unknown. When asked to help, Emma Mitchell, Ria's Mom, brings out old letters she and a cousin wrote during the war. The girls are sure the letters hold the key to their success of finding a forgotten hero! But will they? It that all that these letters bring to light? Join Ria and Lydia, Mrs. Mitchell, an old neighbor called Corporal, and others as they re-live the years of home life during the war.

This was so different then all the other WWI fiction that I've ever read and it made me want to read more! It was told between letters from two girls, instead of being told by men or nurses on the front lines. I loved the new look at it, and it was a sweet look at the war the rocked the world. The characters were so relatable, and I loved seeing all the different aspects of their lives. 
Recommended for anyone. 

The Lady of the Vineyard: Kellyn Roth 


Since her divorce, Adele Collier has pursued her own pleasure at the expense of her daughter. When her ex-husband suddenly reappears in their lives, Adele allows him to take Judy to France with him for the summer. The time apart leads her to realize her daughter is the light of her world, yet she's still not sure she's ready to give up her lifestyle.
Six-year-old Judy is more than happy to trade her mother's neglect for her father's adoring care. She loves his vineyard and wishes she could stay there forever ... but someday she must return to England and her mother. However, Judy isn't sure she can ever trust her mother again.
A novella set in pre-WW2 Europe, this sweet story is sure to delight lovers of light-hearted historical fiction.

First off, isn't that cover amazing?! I love it so much and need in in paperback. *adds to Christmas list* People buy all my books for me now, folks. Okay, not really. xD
This book  was a delightful read, and all the scenes were described so, so well! Literally, Kellyn knows how to write descriptions that make you feel as if you're standing there with the characters. Which makes the book all the more enjoyable! And it was historical fic, sooo . . . ;) I loved the characters, and the father-daughter talks were adorable! Recommended for all ages. ;) 

Ain't we got Fun: Emily Ann Putzke and Emily Chapman 


It was never much of an issue for Bess: living contentedly on her family's farm, despite the Depression which loomed around them. But when her older sister Georgiana takes off to New York City to make a fortune and help Papa out, feelings of adventure and wanderlust strike Bess at home. Through their lively letter correspondence, the sisters recount to one another their adventures, surprises, and heartaches, leaving little room for depression. For in a world of such wonder, ain't we got fun?

Y'all. It was set in Kansas. I had no choice but to love it. It was just an adorable, sweet summer read, with some deeper things woven into it. I loved the historical backdrop, and it was perfect for the book! Speaking of which.. I need a re-read of it. ;) The letters were perfect, and I loved how each girl had her own voice through the story! And the sister relationships were spot on. Just . . . adorable! 

Sweet Remembrance: Emily Ann Putzke  


In the despair of the Warsaw Ghetto, a young Jewish woman fights the Nazis with the only thing she has left—her memories.

Would you like to read a heartbreaking, beautiful tragedy that hurts you just as you realize how precious it is? Then read this. This is the kind of story that breaks you heart in two, yet at the same time, it holds a beautiful, precious hope. I'm really not sure how else to describe it. This dealt with a harsh subject. There's mot any way to get around that fact. Yet, there were small sparks that shone through the darkness of the ghetto. Because hope can be found, even if the darkest places. (One outright misuse of God's name by a German soldier) Recommended for ages 15+ 

Bonus: Martin Hospitality: Abigayle Claire 


Gemma Ebworthy is eighteen, pregnant, and alone. Now that she's been evicted, she finds herself sleeping in a barn, never dreaming that tomorrow could bring kindness of a life-changing magnitude. 
The Martins aren't a typical family—even for rural Kansas. With more kids than can be counted on one hand and a full-time farm, Gemma must make a lot of adjustments to fit in. But despite their many differences, Gemma finds herself drawn to this family and their radical Christian faith. 
When Gemma's past collides with her yet again, she must begin revealing her colorful history. With every detail Gemma concedes, she fears she will lose the Martins' trust and the stable environment she desires for herself and her unborn child. Just how far can the Martins' love and God's forgiveness go?

Another book set in Kansas! Want to make me instantly love a book? Set it in Kansas. xD
The characters were just as amazing as the setting! I really loved seeing Gemma grow throughout the course of the book. She was totally different at the end than she was at the beginning. Her journey was beautiful! And Farris! *squeals* He was adorable, 'kay? Like, he was the perfect little baby and I just wanted to hold and cuddle him! So yes. Recommended to pretty much everyone. ;)


Yes, these are all indi published. Yes, they are all favorites of mine. Yes, you need to go read them right now. ;) Tell me, have you read any of them? What is one of your favorite Indie-published books? Be sure and check out Rebekah's blog for another amazing post and more books! ;) And yes, I had six books again. *winces* Y'all don't mind, do you? 


27 comments:

  1. Most of these are on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs you because you're amazing but I'm pretty sure you just broke the rules* I've read all of these except for "Sweet Remembrance" and "Home Fires of the Great War" – both of which are on my list to read soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, I didn't break any rules. After all, it will be indie published...xD
      *nods* They be well worth the time to read.

      Delete
  3. I agree, “War Tears” needs to be published! :)
    “Ain’t We Got Fun” sounds like a good book! I just loved “Martin Hospitality”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* It does!
      And yes, Martin Hospitality is amazing!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, 7 books? Jesseca! ;) Well, since one of them isn't published yet . . . (Faith, when are we going to get to read this book of yours?) we'll let you get away with it. :)

    I'm honored that you included "Home Fires" in your list. Did it have anything to do with the fact that over half of the book was set in Kansas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, five and a bonus. ;) And YES, we all must get Faith to publish it soon!

      Hmmm...maybe. ;) I wanna visit that little town one day!

      Delete
    2. (Rebekah – sometime by 2020. That's all I can say. xD)

      Delete
  5. CAN'T WAIT TO READ WAR TEARS!!! :P And I still have to read Lady of the Vineyard. Martin Hospitality is great! And I'm adding Ain't We Got Fun to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHMYGOSH ONE OF MY BOOKS MADE A LIST WOW THIS IS INCREDIBLE AAAAH. *slaps self* Mmkay, so, um ... thank you, Jesseca! :D

    Yes, Faith definitely needs to publish War Tears! It sounds absolutely amazing! I haven't read any of the others (shame on me!), but I hope to soon. I especially need to read Home Fires of the Great War and Martin Hospitality. They come so highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* of course it did!! It was so good!

      She does. It is amazing. And yes, you must read them all.

      Delete
  7. Most of these are on my To Read list too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK first, The Lady of The Vineyard is amazing. ♥ and WAR TEARS! I AM SO EXCITED FOR THAT ONE *nudges at Faith lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! And I KNOW!!! She needs to get that one published. ;)

      Delete
  9. I added all of those books! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE PEOPLE IN WAR TEARS LIVE IN VIRGINIA I MUST READ IT NOW!!! *grabby hands* And the others, too! :D



    ReplyDelete
  11. “Martin Hospitality” is *so* pretty. <3

    -Katja L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only heard of Lady in the Vineyard and MArtin Hospitality.. must read every book now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, have you read them?
      And yes, you need like a week of nothing to be able to read them all. ;)

      Delete
  13. "Martin Hospitality." Again. I need to read this book!!!! I've heard of all of these, but haven't ready any. :o

    ReplyDelete