Monday, June 10, 2019

Sunset Summer


From my vantage point in the backseat of the van, I watched as the sun sank behind the glistening waters of the lake below. The church van had begun its descent from the mountains, and we had nearly reached the campsite where we would spend the next two weeks at the retreat our church hosted every year for high school graduates.
Turning my attention from the horizon, I twisted around to look at my bestie who had claimed the seat beside me. Her eyes were closed, and I gently shook her. “Hey, Anna. We’re almost there.”
“Really?” Anna rubbed her eyes as she straightened and glanced out the window. As she did so, she gasped. “Oh, Ellen, it’s beautiful!”
I had to agree. The sky was nearly gold, and the colors reflected in the water below, making the lake come alive as it danced in ribbons of gold and dark blue.
“Is everyone else asleep?”
Leaning forward, I checked the other two benches. The guys were sprawled out all over each other, and I was suddenly thankful Anna and I had the back bench to ourselves. “Uhh, looks like it. Except for Pastor Dan, of course.”
“Right, because I happen to be the driver.”
How he could hear me from the front of the van was a mystery, and I shook my head. “Well, that’s a good thing. Keep up on the coffee.”
In reply, he picked up a thermos and held it up.
I grinned and settled back into my seat. Pastor Dan was epic. He was the kind of youth pastor I wished everyone had. He was funny and so easy to get along with, but you also knew that he’d take you seriously and listen if you needed him to. I couldn’t count the many times I had gone to him with a problem, and he’d helped me through it.
His wife was every bit as amazing as he was. However, this year she’d decided to stay home, and I couldn't blame her. Being seven months pregnant, she deserved a couple weeks of rest, not tramping around the wilderness with a bunch of high school graduates.
Every year our church put on this camping trip. Along with two other sister churches, it was a time for all the graduates to get away and get two weeks to focus on God while they searched for His will and direction in their lives.
For as long as I could remember, I had been envious of each group that had made the trip...it was still so hard to believe I was going this year.
Beside me, Anna had pulled out her phone and I could see the open Facebook App. Leaning over her shoulder, I peeked at the page. “Mr. Handsome post any more amazing pictures?”
“Oh, hush, Ell!” But the words didn’t keep a smile off her face. “But no, he didn’t.”
I sat back and let her browse in relative privacy. “Tsk, tsk. When do college classes let out?”
She looked at me. “And why would I know?”
“Really child?” I raised an eyebrow. “Y’all are dating. I hope he would give you at least that much info.”
“Technically, we’re not exactly dating.”
“You’re both dating.” Before I could reply, Pastor Dan’s voice testified that he had been listening to our conversation.
I snickered. “Thanks for backing me up, Pastor Dan.” With what I could only imagine was an impish grin, I turned to Anna. “See? Y’all are dating.”
Anna’s face had turned red and I held back a smile. She looked so adorable when she blushed. One reason I loved teasing her about Jared. He had an effect on her no one else had.
“Okay, maybe we’re dating. But really, we’re pretty much just friends. I mean, he has college to finish. And me?” She shrugged. “I don’t even know what I want to do with my life.”
“Well, that’s the problem you get when the guy is two years older than you,” I pointed out. “Just take things slowly, one step at a time.” I loved being able to give Anna advice, even if I had never been in a relationship myself. The best part about it was, most of the time the advice was good.
 I knew because it was advice my parents had given me for some future day if I ever was interested in a guy.
If I ever were in a relationship, I was pretty sure I’d know most of the answers.
“I know. And we are.” She turned off her phone. “But we don’t need to talk about him right now. We have two weeks ahead of us that are going to be amazing.” She let her gaze wander out the window. “I have a feeling that these two weeks are gonna change a lot.”
At her words, a strange feeling twisted me inside. “I know,” I admitted. “I’ve felt the same way. I don’t think I like it either.”
She turned and gave me something of a half hug. Which wasn’t easy, seeing as how we were surrounded by every bit of luggage imaginable, as well as strapped to the bench with seat belts. “It’ll be an amazing time, Ell. Change… well, change is good sometimes.”
I forced a smile. “I know. I just like life how it is right now.”
Anna laughed. “Ell, honey. You’ve just finished high school. You’re looking at going into college this fall. Trust me, this year… it’s gonna change a lot.”
The sun slipped out from behind a stray cloud and filled the sky with light one last time before slipping away for the night, and I watched as it turned the clouds from gold to pink. “I feel like this is a sunset summer.”
For a moment she didn’t reply, then she asked, “sunset summer?”
I nodded. “You know, the summer where the sun sets on one part of life before rising again the next day, where life looks totally different. Like...oh, I don’t know. Like when seasons change or...something.”
“Sunset summer, eh?” Her voice was soft, and when I turned to look at her, I realized her gaze had joined mine out on the fading sunset. “That sounds beautiful.” She turned. “What do you say we make it a summer to remember?”
I grinned and nodded. “Sounds fabulous.”
My last summer before life changed, with my best friend, at a camp that was committed to focusing on the will of God in our lives.
Anna was right. These next two weeks were gonna be amazing.


*coming soon* 

9 comments:

  1. *claps and jumps around and grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Is somebody thinking of writing another book? Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog. Great stuff. I am Following now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this.This sounds interesting..Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete