Sunday, December 22, 2019

12 Days of Christmas - Auld Lang Syne - Part 1

*crickets chirp* Ehh, hello there. Yes, life has been crazy. And yes, I haven't posted in six months. More on that to come later. XD
But for now I've decided to pop back in with a  new Christmas story and join in the 12 Days of Christmas blog party! Faith over at Stories by Firefly has hosted this for the past several years,  and it's such a fun link-up.


It's honestly been a while since I've written anything. But earlier this month I was in the mood for a Christmas story, and since I couldn't find the perfect one to fit my mood ... I decided to write one. #authorlogic It's part contemporary, part historical, and 100% Christmas. ;) 



And yes, even though it's a short story it needed a cover. Obviously. 


It was a gingerbread Christmas town. Everyone who visited during the Christmas season remarked it was as if they’d stepped into a Norman Rockwell painting. Lampposts dotted the cobblestone brick road that formed Main Street, and wreaths framed in red bows adorned each one. White fairy lights were strung around the top of the shops, inviting the passers by into the warmth they offered. In each and every window, a christmas tree sparkled in the darkening dusk. The ornaments and lights were different on each and every one, making each unique to the shop in which they sat. Oldies christmas music from the post-war era played softly in the background adding to the old-time feeling.
Set off toward the end, the town square was lit by a huge Christmas tree trimmed to the top with every ornament imaginable. The lights danced on everything around them, and benches sitting just a few feet away invited passers by to take a moment to sit and just enjoy a moment or two. 
Above the town a full moon was rising, accompanied by a thousand stars. The only thing missing was snow, and that was forecast to come sometime in the next few days. It was a retreat from the business of the shopping malls, traffic, the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Lydia took a deep breath and watched as it frosted in the air around her. In involuntary smile came to her lips. This was her town. This was Christmas. She’d often joked that she should have lived in a different era, one from years gone by. And every year when Christmas came around, it was as if she had that chance. 
Tucking her hands inside her coat pockets to keep them front he cold, she made her way towards the bookstore. Shoppers with their arms laden with Christmas gifts and hot chocolate in their hands passed her with a nod and smile. 
The bookstore was one of her favorite places. Set a bit apart from the rest of the shops, it was situated just outside town square. 
Lydia opened the door and stepped inside. She was instantly enveloped in warmth mixed with the scents of cinnamon, apples, and old leather. Antique bookcases lined the walls and filled up the entire space, save for the front window where the checkstand and christmas tree sat. Three chairs made a semicircle around the front of the tree, while a gas fireplace lit up the area between the checkstand and the tree itself, making the room pleasantly warm. 
“Lydia!” A white-haired lady who could have been mistaken for Santa’s wife greeted her with a beaming smile. The red sweater and black skirt she wore only added to the illusion. “I knew we’d see you in here before too long.” 
Mrs. Meyer was nearing ninety-three but she was still spry as ever. It scared her children half to death how she still insisted on working at the store, but no one could stop her. 
With a laugh, Lydia nodded. “You know me well Mrs. Meyer. I can’t stay away from here during christmas.” She made her way toward the tree. “I want to see how you decorated this year.”
“I’m quite proud of that tree.” Mrs. Meyer stood and shuffled over towards it. “I think this is my best one yet.”
Miniature book ornaments, pens, and bookmarks adorned the tree, illuminated by clear Christmas lights and nestled between rows of silver tinsel. At the top, a simple star made of barbed wire sat proudly reminding everyone of the reason for the season.
Lydia caught her breath. “Oh, it’s beautiful! So Christmasy and bookish!” She clapped her hands together, unable to contain her excitement. “It’s perfect!”
Mrs. Meyer chuckled. “See you so happy makes me happy. It took me a while to get up, without Dick to help me this year.” A shadow passed across her normally cheery face and Lydia wrapped her in a quick hug. 
“I’m sorry Mrs. Meyer. We all miss him.”
“I know.” Mrs. Meyer returned the hug and stepped back. “Married sixty-eight years. And this will be my first christmas without him.”
Her voice broke with the last word and she shook her head. “But I know he’s in a better place.” Before Lydia could respond, she swiped at her tears and drew in a shaky breath. “But I know you didn’t come here to listen to me. What can I do for you, dear?”
Lydia didn’t answer. For a moment she gave Mrs. Meyer a long, searching look. “Are you sure you’re doing okay?” 
“Yes, just fine. A bit sentimental is all.” A wistful look drifted across her face as she looked up at the star atop the tree. “You know, he’s helped me decorate a tree in this window for nearly seventy years. That star … he brought that star home.” A faraway look shone in her face as a million memories danced across her face. “Have to told you that story?”
Only a million times. A soft smile rested on Lydia’s face as she watched Mrs. Meyer relive memories from years gone by. “You have, but I would love to hear it again.” Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without hearing the story of the star in the window. 
“And I will always tell it.” Mrs. Meyer turned from the tree and motioned to one of the three chairs that circled it. “Have a seat and I’ll get you some hot cocoa. Then I’ll tell the story.” 
Knowing from past experiences that it was useless to offer to help or to decline, Lydia obeyed. In no time at all Mrs. Meyers reappeared with two steaming cups in hand. 
“I put peppermint in yours, I hope you like it.”
Taking the outstretched cup, Lydia caught a whiff of the fragrant aroma. Chocolate, peppermint, and a cluster of marshmallows that floated on top. “It smells wonderful, as always. Thank you.” 
“Ahh, you're more than welcome.” Mrs. Meyers sighed as she lowered herself into a chair. “Hot chocolate adds the finishing touch to the Christmas season I think." She set her cup on the table between them and settled back in the chair. Now for my story.”

Tune in tomorrow for part #2! 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read more! It's so good to seeyou on the blog again XD

    ReplyDelete