Friday, September 11, 2020

9/11/2001

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” — George W. Bush


Where were you nineteen years ago?

I was three years old. Too young to know what was happening, but old enough to know that something wasn’t right. 

-2,184 Civilians 

-343 Members of the NYC Fire Department - Firefighters, EMTs, Paramedics 

-71 Law Enforcement officers 

-8 EMTs and Paramedics from private hospital units 


. . . Never saw the sun set on September 11th. 


Another shift, another day,

Nothing seems amiss.

The coffee’s hot, the morning’s young, 

I give my wife a kiss. 


Then suddenly the world turns grey,

The color disappears. 

As from above they descend, 

Achieving our worst fears. 


I grab my gear, don’t hesitate,

Jump into the truck.

While others flee we press on,

But I fear we are too late.


I didn’t make it out that day,

I never went back home,

Never saw the sun set,

As it dipped beneath the bay.


I ran toward the rubble willingly, 

I'd do it all again,

to help those who are hurting, 

with no thought of earthly gain. 


I only ask that you remember,

That you never let yourself forget. 

How you felt that day in September,

When the land we love was attacked. 



There are a handful of blogs posting today in honor of 9/11. Be sure and check out all their posts. 


Never forget. 


Soldier Girl Stories 

Life of Heritage 

Stories by Firefly 

Photos by Abby Rose

Maidens for Modesty 

Twin Thoughts 

The Heart of the Rose 

Books, Life, and Christ 

Beautiful Things 

Amanda Tero 





“Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend―even a friend whose name it never knew.” — George W. Bush

3 comments: